New campers are selected from BICF’s 12 partner schools when they are in the fourth grade. Our partnership schools include:
- Albemarle Road Elementary
- Billingsville Elementary
- Bruns Academy
- Cotswold Elementary
- Druid Hills Academy
- Hidden Valley Elementary
- Highland Renaissance Academy
- Rama Road Elementary
- Statesville Road Elementary
- Thomasboro Academy
- Westerly Hills Academy
- Winterfield Elementary
All campers must meet the following three criteria to be selected by school personnel: strong academic effort, leadership potential, and good citizenship. As long as students continue to meet these standards, they remain in our five-year program until the summer following eighth grade.
Students who demonstrate strong academic effort:
- possess an enthusiasm for learning.
- complete assignments and take pride in their schoolwork.
- strive to do their best in all school subjects.
- attempt to improve their skills.
Students who demonstrate leadership potential:
- create plans to achieve goals.
- set good examples for classmates and exhibit high personal standards.
- make good decisions and accept responsibility for their decisions.
- possess strong communication skills and listen effectively to others.
Students who demonstrate good citizenship:
- treat classmates with respect and dignity.
- work to make their classroom, school and community a better place.
- care about the environment.
- obey their classroom, school, and family rules.
Expectations of the Parents of BICF Campers
BICF cares about its campers and their families. The organization and its volunteers strive to form personal relationships with each participant. Part of this relationship requires the parents of our campers to be committed to the BICF purpose and their student’s continued success.
We ask parents of BICF campers to:
- Complete and return all applications and materials to BICF on time.
- Always return phone calls to BICF staff and volunteers in a timely manner.
- Notify BICF of changes in phone numbers, addresses, schools, etc.
- Participate in parent and camper surveys.
- Provide BICF with their child’s end-of-year report card.
- Allow BICF to access their child’s school grades, EOC and EOG scores, behavior and attendance information.
Camp Opportunities for Students Outside of BICF Partnership Schools
Depending on the summer, BICF may have additional openings in our camper enrollment program for students that do not attend our partnership schools. Students wishing to apply to the BICF program should contact Mollie T. James.